In just a few days we will celebrate our country’s Independence! As many of us will join together with family and friends it is important to remember that we must keep our pets safe from the 4th of July activities.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center shares the following tips to help keep our four-legged friends safe from the holiday fun:
Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. If pets drink alcohol they can become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed and could go into a coma.
Keep pets on their normal diet and do not feed them a lot of scraps from the grill. Changes in diet can make your pet severely sick. This is more so in older animals who have a sensitive digestive system.
Never feed your pats foods such as chocolate, grapes, avocado, raisins or onions; these foods are toxic to dogs.
Most importantly, never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can result in severe burns or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can de dangerous.
Pets can become frightened or disoriented by the sound of fireworks. Keep them in a safe quiet shelter and an inescapable area in your home as they can become so distressed that they could run from the noise and become lost.
Be courteous to your pets, and other people around you by following these tips.
We hope you enjoy your holiday weekend!
For more safety tips for your pets go to: http://www.aspca.org/news/pet-safety-tips-happy-healthy-fourth-july
Thanks for being a loyal email subscriber. We appreciate hearing from you. Let us know if you ever have any questions.